Néle Azevedo: Minimum Monument
- Dates : 21 Oct 2012 2:00PM - 21 Oct 2012 4:01PM
- Venue : Custom House Square steps
- Organiser : --- Ulster Bank Belfast Festival at Queen's, Belfast Festival at Queen's
- Booking Information - FREE and NO BOOKING REQUIRED
Since 2002, Azevedo, an internationally acclaimed artist living and working in São Paulo, Brazil, has been making interventions with the Minimum Monument project, in cities including Sao Paulo, Havana, Tokyo, Kyoto, Paris, Berlin, Porto and Florence.
To commemorate the centenary of the sinking of the Titanic, Festival has commissioned Azevedo to commemorate those who perished in the disaster, inviting members of the public to assist in the placement of 1517 ice sculptures on the steps of the Custom House building.
A counterpoint to the permanent, public fullfilment of the traditionally static sculpture, Minimum Monument celebrates the political strength of the ephemeral and diminutive, in opposition to the monumental and grandiose: it celebrates everyman, whose face can be as diverse as the temporality that animates it.
Homage is paid to the anonymous, and the bodies fade away in a moving, shared experience.
- Organiser Telephone : 02890971197
- Event Open To : Students, Staff, General Public, Members, Alumni, Press
- Age Recommendation : Children to be accompanied by an adult